Saturday, 8 November 2014

Instructions for New Blog Readers


OK, I’m not being patronising here. These instructions are for people who don’t usually read blogs, don’t understand why people write blogs, and don’t really know what they’re supposed to do when they visit a blog.

Let me rephrase that.This is what I would love you to do when you visit my blog. Please.

Read my posts. Read one or read more. They’re not all the same. If you are here for the first time, grab a cup of tea or a glass of wine, and read the whole lot if you want. Whatever you have the time or the inclination for. That would be lovely. You will find my previous posts in the blog archive on the right. 

Make a comment in the comments section after the post. Clearly this is not mandatory, but it would be great. Please understand that I’m not looking for score out of 10 for the calibre of my writing, so don’t run away just because you think you need to come up with an awkward platitude. I just want to know that I’ve reached someone in some way. Maybe one of my posts has triggered a memory, or you might agree or disagree with my opinion about something, or you might just have something in general to add to the conversation.

Why? Because, although it was indeed my choice to start writing this blog, writing into a vacuum is like singing/acting/telling jokes/playing an instrument to an empty auditorium.

Yes, there is a degree of personal artistic satisfaction from creating/producing something, and that is certainly an important part of the process.

But apart from the personal satisfaction gained from creating something, some of us (ie, me) love to know that we have, in some small way, touched someone, made them laugh or cry, encouraged them to think or remember, or just given them something moderately entertaining to read for a while. I find that rewarding and inspiring. And sometimes it even stops me being a boring, cranky old cow for a few minutes.

Ok now, the third part of the process, for advanced players who need a challenge, is to share. If you happen to really enjoy something I’ve written, and you think your Facebook or Twitter friends (for example) might enjoy it, head to the shaded bar underneath the post (where the comments are), and click on the appropriate button to share. Unless you are sharing to a group of axe wielding, wannabe-artiste haters, you will be doing me a huge favour, so thanks.


I think that’s it for now. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy, and I hope to see you again very soon.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    Just me again
    I have shared you... but just once
    Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You've done more than enough,Rocky. x

      Delete