Sunday, 26 April 2015

Media: Sesame Street Food








I remember the first day Sesame Street aired on Australian TV. I was five. Mum had flagged it for our viewing pleasure, and when we sat down on that first morning we were not disappointed. It was entertaining, amusing, and somewhat educational.

And in my little culturally homogenous world, the American content was tantalising.

Somehow ‘cookies’ and ‘cupcakes’ were much more fascinating than ‘biscuits’ and ‘patty cakes’. The ‘pickles’ they had with their ‘burgers’ were not the same as the ‘pickles’ we made with a bumper choko crop. And it took me a while to figure out that the ‘jelly’ on their ‘peanut butter and jelly sandwiches’ was not the same ‘jelly’ we ate with our ice cream.

One of my favourite segments on Sesame Street was a counting backwards and forwards segment, featuring the number of the day. At the end of the segment a clumsy baker would bring out a platter laden with baked goods, announce what they were in a grand proclamation, and then fall down the stairs. He baked some wonderful things, most of them sounding very exotic to me:
1 wedding cake
2 chocolate cream pies
3 birthday cakes
4 root beer floats
5 fancy fruit cakes
6 strawberry shortcakes
7 pumpkin pies
8 raspberry pudding desserts
9 coconut custard pies
10 chocolate layer cakes
And these lavish (to me) items ended up all over the baker and the floor after a spectacular roll down the stairs. You just can’t go wrong with that kind of humour for little kids. My brother and I called that part of the segment ‘Bung Smucky’. Lord knows why we came up with those exact words, but if you say them slowly and loudly they do encapsulate the baker’s grand announcement of his product before his dramatic fall down the stairs.

Times have certainly changed. There are so many other media platforms available to kids. My 8 and 9 year olds are great YouTube fans. Some of the stuff on there is crap, but some of it is really, really good.

My daughter, in particular, watches quite a lot of creative material, but the ones I often watch over her shoulder are instructional pieces involving the most amazing sweet-making and decorating.

Anyway a few weeks ago, Easter Monday I think, I awoke to the distinct sound of a project being undertaken in the kitchen. A project involving a YouTube instructional video about using spare easter eggs  to make a popular American snack called a ‘s’more’. Originating as a campfire snack, a ‘s’more’ consists of warm toasted marshmallows and a layer of chocolate placed between graham crackers.
The key word here is ‘graham’, a specific style of biscuit sold in America, a bit like a sweeter version of a shredded wheat biscuit, but really there is no equivalent here. Unfortunately my children only picked up on the word ‘cracker’ so they were using savoury rice crackers. And planning to put them in the microwave with chocolate and marshmallows.


It’s a good thing I got out of bed when I did. Wouldn’t want to waste those easter eggs. Or the savoury rice crackers for that matter. 



photo credit: cookie-monster via photopin (license)




16 comments:

  1. I'm too old for Sesame Street, and of our three, only Luke was a fan. He loved it. Cookie monster in particular. and I think Bung Smucky is ingenious... creative... you were engaged by the watching, not just zoned out in front of a moving image... But it's interesting how much more familiar today's kids are with American English...
    It was Toy Story that put my two onto s'mores... I always wondered if Granitas would be the closest thing we have in our bickie aisles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I think Granitas might be the closest thing, but still not sweet enough, according to what I've read.
      Cookie Monster was a bit of a favourite here too. Even though they were not Sesame Street fans, there was a Cookie Monster story I used to read to them (with full Cookie Monster voice of course) that was repeatedly requested.

      Delete
  2. Love your posts Gael. On the matter of Sesame Street, I have kept my (almost 25 year old) son's cookie monster puppet for his own reminiscing - not for mine of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jenny. I'm betting my posts don't take half as much research or time as yours do, but I do put a lot of thought into them, so it's always great to receive feedback or comments.

      Delete
  3. Amazing the show has enjoyed such a long run. Hopefully it'll be on for a long time.

    Stephen Tremp
    A-Z Co-host
    V is for Vortex (of the paranormal nature)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have something remain relevant over the decades. Thanks Stephen.

      Delete
  4. My favourites were Bert and Ernie, I always felt sorry for Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved Bert. I loved his bottle cap collection, his paper-clip collection, his pet pigeons, all of the Bert things. Thanks Natalie.

      Delete
  5. I used to be petrified of The Count on Sesame Street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Count, but i could see how he could be frightening for a little kid with all the bats flying around, and flashes of lightning, etc. Thanks for stopping by Ingrid.

      Delete
  6. I loved Sesame st. Still do...sort of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, although I would probably prefer the earlier versions of it. There are way too many people/characters now. Thanks Lydia.

      Delete
  7. I've never tried to make S'mores before, but they look good. Good on the kids. I have fond memories of Sesame Street. My kids play the online games on the sesame street site and love it. they love you tube too, even though I think my kids are cute when they sing 'Let it go' together, I am a little over hearing other peoples kids singing it! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know what you mean about the other kids singing it on youtube. We also unfortunately have lots of minecraft and skylanders tutorial viewing as well. Drives me nuts. Thanks for commenting Alicia. Hope the linky went well for you today, and thanks for having me.

      Delete
  8. hi Gael
    I am also from Melbourne
    just popped in to say hello from the A-Z blogging challenge
    Kim from Sunbury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kim. I hope you enjoyed reading my post.

      Delete